Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Mommy Guilt

The infamous mommy guilt, do you have it???? I am going to guess that every mother experiences mommy guilt on some level! Whether it is the working mom guilt, the stay at home mom guilt, the part-time working mommy guilt, or the single mommy guilt!! It is out their on all levels and we as women are plagued with it everyday! Are we feeding our kids healthy enough, is my kid to big or to small and did I do something to make them this way, do I work too many hours, or is my baby clinging to me because I am with him/her too much. Am I a bad parent because my kid goes to daycare or because my kid doesn't socialize enough since he/she is home with me everyday....IT IS EVERYWHERE!!! SO today I am going to make you feel better about yourself in regard to your mothering skills!

1. My 29 month old daughter still has both a bottle and a pacifier and I am OK with that :)
2. Last night my kids ate Olive Garden Bread Sticks(grains) and corn puffs dipped in can cheese(dairy) for dinner topped off with a strawberry daiquiri (fruit) (of course there was no alcohol in it what kind of heathen do you think I am!) :) (are you feeling better about yourself yet?)
3. My five year old has snuck into my bed 3 out of the last 5 nights and stayed there all night long right between her daddy and I...
4. My 2 year old uses dammit and bullshit consistently in her everyday speech....and laughs every time she says it...it's all fun and games until she says it in church...
5. So I finally finished ALL of my laundry a few weeks ago and while I was folding the mountains MOUNTAINS of it, I found winter pants and shirts. (don't judge) All you AWESOME laundry mama's out there can kiss my fluffy white butt!!
6.I bet you have never found sippy cups or bottles with old curdled milk in them, and just thrown them away because you didn't want to deal with it, yeah me neither, I am a MUCH better house keeper than that!
7. I may work a full-time job but that doesn't mean that when I get to the office my full-time mom and wife job stops, seriously, just ask my cell phone....(this one always gets me that people assume that while I am "relaxing" at work my other roles stop....uhhh no)
8.I have been known to prepare my kids a separate meal from what I have made for their dad an I, on more than one occasion. (why should I always have to eat off the kid menu!! and why force them to eat off the adult one when it is just going to end in a battle of the wills! I would rather take the extra ten minutes and make them something they like while encouraging them to try what I made for us...okay really I am just to lazy to mess with the battle....spoiled? maybe?
9. I am the mom that in most "mommy conversations" where we are having our children demonstrate there new tricks skills such as naming colors, and counting or saying there ABC's, my children demonstrate "girls gone wild" by lifting up their t-shirt to show off their tummy or put there hand up to their forehead in the shape of and L and say LOOOOSER (L is a letter of the alphabet, we have been working on our sign languages skills....) I mean every kid can do the normal tricks but it takes talent to pull off those unique skills!!
10. My kids are off the growth chart in height, weight and head circumference, that must mean I  force feed them, water them with sugar and sit around at night rubbing there heads into a really round shape.....really people, have you seen their dad and I .....

I am probably not going to win the "mother of the year" award for having the healthiest menu planning, and best "home" schooling techniques, I am pretty sure I am not going to win "housekeeper of the year" because the mountain of laundry is never completely finished, the empty sippy cups are always going to be there and the floors usually have crumbs on them somewhere, and I am confident that my husband would tell you that "wife of the year" is out of the picture too, just ask Carleigh she seems to think my bed holds special powers....her dad used to think that too! HA! So when you feel plagued by the mommy guilt, just remember their is someone out there who is doing a worse job than you :) And remember ladies, always smile as you are dragging your kicking screaming child out of the store in the middle of a tantrum, that will really give those other woman something to talk about!!!

1 comment: