Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pup-Cake Cup Cakes 101


Many of you know that I am a self taught, wanna be  Food Network great, self proclaimed, cake decorator! It has been a year now since my debut cake which was a beach cake and I have come pretty far!! ANYWAY enough background! So my niece Lexie turned 10 this week :)
We are very proud of the young lady she has become! I can't believe it has been ten years since she came into our lives! She was the cutest little thing and has a personality that is one of a kind! She has went from growling at strangers to having the prettiest smile! We love you Lexie Lou and can't wait to see what the next year brings you!!
and now back to the cupcakes!
Okay so Lexie has always been a lover of dogs (hence why she growled when she was a toddler, I am pretty sure she acted like a dog for the first few years of her life! We embraced it and let her play in (clean) dog kennels and gave her Reese peanut butter cereal as dog food!) umm Caylee may be following in her foot steps....video footage of that soon....
ummmm back to the cupcakes
so I saw these cute dog cup cakes in a book called "Hello Cupcakes" and I had to try them! They turned out super cute! Wanna see???
now I can't take all the credit even though I really want too... because I mean they are stinking awesome...but I had an intern for this batch! My oldest niece Lydia, she did half of them and did a great job! really she almost showed me up and it was her first time!Carleigh did one too, can you guess which one??
(cell phone picture=bad quality Sorry!)
She did this 100 percent by herself, she used marshmallows for her eyes and gave it a collar that you can't see! Future pastry chef???
So how did we make these little puppies! Well first you bake your cupcakes just like always, and you have to let them cool completely! Than you decide on your dog color and ice the top of the cupcake. The trick for the nose of the dog is a marshmallows cut to the height of your desired snout. place on cupcake and then ice it too, and then we just used piping tips to draw on our faces! To make the ears we used rolled out tootsie rolls! One think we learned is that next time we will buy a bag of colored tootsie rolls so that we don't have to put icing on top of them when we want something other than brown ears! and that's how we did it!
This was a long post thanks for hanging in there with me!!! Have A GRRREAT Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment